Jerusalem city picture

Jerusalem city picture

Saturday, May 10, 2014

12 Days

I have now officially been the city of Jerusalem for 12 days!  I can't believe it.  Time has been flying.  I already love the smells, foods, street vendors,incredible views, and all the people I am surrounded with here in the center and the city. We got to the Center at 8 p.m. after traveling for 24 hours.  Needless to say, we were all exhausted.  But we walked into the Jerusalem center and one of the sisters was playing church hymns on the organ.  You could immediately feel the spirit so strongly.  We sat down in this huge auditorium.  The Center director welcomed us and then pulled back these curtains that revealed the whole city of Jerusalem lit up in the darkness.  Honestly, it was the most incredible feeling.  We all sat there in awe as we stared at this beautiful city.  

The first few days are kind of a blur. I have never experienced jet lag before... and let me tell you... it is a real thing.  We had A LOT of orientation meetings and classes the first couple days.  In all of these, everyone fell asleep multiple times. BUT... after two weeks, we are finally starting to get over it. 

Our first adventure in the city was the Dome of the Rock! 


It is the most incredible place. It is part of the Temple Mount, right by the Western Wall.  It is so interesting to walk from the wall and enter these security gates where soldiers are patrolling.  You walk in and Muslim people are gathering and praying at the Al'Aqsa Mosque, just south of the Dome of the Rock.  The Temple Mount is a very coveted spot.  The Jews believe that they will one day own that land and rebuild their temple. It seems like an impossible dream, but they are sure that it will one day happen.  The Temple Mount is a very sacred spot to the Muslims.  Those of us who had short sleeves wore scarves to show respect and were careful to not to stand out as the stereo-typical loud Americans.  I loved being there and seeing the respect and love that the people had for their temple.
  

Enjoying the scarf/shawl look


I LOVED this place!


We also went to a synagogue!


Our first field trip we went to five different places all around the edges of Jerusalem.  But I will just highlight my two favorites.  We heard stories of how they were created, who owned them and what time period they were built in. We became more oriented with the city because all of them involved some type of overlook. 

We climbed to the very top of the Augusta Victoria Lutheran church which was built Kaiser Wilhem in 1907, and named after his wife.  It overlooks the whole city.  222 stairs. But whose counting.


View from the top


This is from the lower level of the church where they come to worship.

My very favorite spot though was the Bethlehem overlook. Bethlehem is in the West Bank which is owned by Palestine. People have to get special permission to cross over the border into that area.  We get to go later in the semester but we hiked up this hill to overlook the city.  As I stood on top of this hill with Jerusalem behind me and Bethlehem in front, it hit me that I am HERE.  I was looking at the place where Christ was born.  I looked back at Jerusalem, the place where Christ lived his life and suffered and died for us.  It was such a cool experience for me.  It's one of those moments that I will never forget.


I loved that there was a herd of sheep and their shepherd on top of the hill with us.  It seemed so symbolic.


I am excited to go back!

  

1 comment:

  1. I got goose bumps reading this. I could not be more excited for you! Have so much fun!

    ReplyDelete